Google right this moment launched Android 11 Beta 2, or the sixth preview of its subsequent cellular OS model. Beta 2 marks Android 11’s Platform Stability milestone, which implies that the APIs and behaviors have been finalized. As a end result, builders could make ultimate compatibility updates and focus solely on testing their apps and video games.
Android 11 has had a rocky beta schedule. Google launched Android 11 DP1 in February (the earliest it has ever launched an Android developer preview), Android 11 DP2 in March, and Android 11 DP3 in April. Android 11 Beta 1 was imagined to arrive in May, however we received Android 11 DP4 as a stopgap measure, after which Beta 1 arrived in June. Beta 1 would have usually been proven off at Google’s I/O developer convention, the place the primary Android beta usually debuts, however the occasion was canceled because of the coronavirus. #Android11: the Beta Launch Show was imagined to occur in lieu, however Google postponed after which finally canceled that as nicely as a result of protests over systemic racism and police brutality.
Despite the delays, Google insists that Android 11 is on schedule (the ultimate is formally slated for Q3, however Google hinted final evening that it was aiming for September 8). You can get Android 11 Beta 2 now through the Android Beta Program or download it directly. Google can even be pushing an over-the-air (OTA) replace for these on earlier builds. The launch consists of the ultimate SDK with system pictures for the Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, Pixel 3, Pixel Three XL, Pixel 3a, Pixel 3a XL, Pixel 4, and Pixel Four XL, in addition to the official Android Emulator. Those eight Pixel telephones are a tiny slice of the over 2.5 billion month-to-month lively Android units — the principle motive builders are exploring the brand new model within the first place. While these are the telephones Google restricted the primary 4 Android 11 developer previews to, the corporate is working with its OEM companions to carry the betas to extra units.
Again, Platform Stability implies that Android 11 app-facing surfaces and behaviors at the moment are ultimate, together with SDK and NDK APIs, system behaviors, and restrictions on non-SDK interfaces which will have an effect on apps. App compatibility implies that your app runs correctly on a selected model of Android, on this case the most recent one. Developers ought to set up their manufacturing app on a tool or emulator working Android 11, check all of the person flows and options, and ensure none of Android 11’s modifications break something.
While these modifications will solely have an effect on Android 11 customers, both those that up to date to it or bought a brand new system, that also interprets to tens of millions of units. Before you discover the new APIs and capabilities, begin by testing your present app and releasing a compatibility replace.
To clean out the method for builders adopting the platform replace, Google is providing the next assets and instruments as a part of Android 11:
- Minimizing the impression of conduct modifications — Wherever attainable, modifications that would have an effect on apps are opt-in till you set targetSdkVersion to Android 11 in your app. If you might be distributing by Google Play, you’ll have greater than a yr to opt-in to those modifications.
- Easier testing and debugging — Many of the breaking modifications are toggleable so you may force-enable or disable the modifications individually from Developer choices or adb. You not have to vary targetSdkVersion or recompile your app for basic testing.
- Restrictions on non-SDK interfaces — The lists of restricted non-SDK interfaces have been up to date — you may request public API equivalents here.
- Dynamic useful resource loader — Android 11 provides a Resource Loader framework, a public API to load assets and property dynamically at runtime.
Google VP of engineering Dave Burke right this moment referred to as on SDK, library, instruments, and sport engine builders to check and launch their suitable updates “as soon as possible — your downstream app and game developers may be blocked until they receive your updates. When you’ve released a compatible update, be vocal and let developers know!”
Android 11 options
Google has been trickling out new options for months now. Android 11 Developer Preview 1 introduced 5G experiences, folks and conversations enhancements, Neural Networks API 1.3, privateness and safety features, Google Play System updates, app compatibility, connectivity, picture and digital camera enhancements, and low latency tweaks. DP2 constructed on these with foldable, name screening, and extra Neural Networks API enhancements. DP3 included app exit causes updates, GWP-ASan heap evaluation, Android Debug Bridge Incremental, wi-fi debugging, and information entry auditing. DP4 didn’t have any new options.
Beta 1 greater than compensated with new messaging performance (dialog, notifications, Bubbles, consolidated keyboard recommendations, and Voice Access), sensible dwelling controls for units and media, and privateness options (one-time permission, permissions auto-reset, background location modifications, and extra Google Play System Updates modules).
While the developer previews are solely meant for, nicely, builders, early adopters and anybody keen on beta software program can attempt Android 11 now. In return, Google is asking that you simply give feedback and report bugs.
Android 11 beta schedule
Last yr, there have been six betas. This yr, there’ll now be 4 developer previews and three betas.
Here’s the Android 11 schedule:
- February: Developer Preview 1 (Early baseline construct centered on developer suggestions, with new options, APIs, and conduct modifications.)
- March: Developer Preview 2 (Incremental replace with further options, APIs, and conduct modifications.)
- April: Developer Preview 3 (Incremental replace for stability and efficiency.)
- May: Developer Preview 4 (App compatibility and efficiency enhancements.)
- June: Beta 1 (Final SDK and NDK APIs; Google Play publishing open for apps focusing on Android 11.)
- July: Beta 2 (Platform Stability milestone. Final APIs and behaviors.)
- August: Beta 3 (Release candidate construct.)
- Q3: Final launch (Android 11 launch to AOSP and ecosystem.)
If you haven’t began testing but, now’s the time. After you’ve downloaded Beta 2, replace your Android Studio setting with the SDK (setup guide). Then set up your present manufacturing app and check the person flows. For an entire rundown on what’s new, examine the API overview, API reference, and behavior changes.